Learning WordPress 101 – A Beginner’s Workshop
Get setup with affordable WordPress hosting and then come back here to start building your new WordPress website. I have set this up in 3 modules that makes it easy to learn and find the resources to learn WordPress. I personally recommend HostGator (Save $9.94 with code “WordPress4Less”) or GreenHostUSA which provide affordable and reliable WordPress Hosting. You can have your WordPress website up and running with in less than an hour. I use HostGator WordPress hosting for my personal websites and those of my clients. Lets get started…
WordPress 101 – Module 1
- Lets Begin Here! What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. It has many features including a plug-in architecture and a template system. WordPress is used by over 14.7% of Alexa Internet’s “top 1 million” websites and as of August 2011 manages 22% of all new websites. WordPress is currently the most popular CMS in use on the Internet. It was first released on May 27, 2003, by Matt Mullenweg as a fork of b2/cafelog. As of December 2011, version 3.0 had been downloaded over 65 million times.Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPress
- What is WordPress Codex?
- WordPress Support Forum
- Setting Up WordPress Hosting
http://greenhostusa.com/ – WordPress Hosting Provider
http://greenhostusa.com/wordpress.html – WordPress Hosting Rates
HostGator WordPress Hosting Save $9.94 with code “WordPress4Less”
cPanel – http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/
- Installing WordPress
http://www.yourdomain.com:2082/ – Access your cPanel (this is where you would install WordPress, create any mailboxes and manage your hosting)
Install WordPress using QuickInstall *Save 25 percent off your hosting with code “QuickInstall”
- Video: WordPress How-To Tutorial : Installing WordPress
- FTP For WordPress Files
http://filezilla-project.org/ – Filezilla is used to access WordPress files on the hosting providers server. With this application you can upload, delete or modify files in the WordPress directory.
- First Steps with WordPress
- Login to WordPress (Login using the username and password provided during the installation of WordPress)
WordPress Login Page- http://yourdomainname/wp-login.php
- The Dashboard
WordPress 101 Video Training: The Dashboard
WordPress 101 Video Training: Users
- WordPress Basic Settings (on the “Welcome to your new WordPress site!” screen look for “Basic Settings”. This is where you’ll set your privacy settings, select a tagline and time zone, turn comments on or off and fill in your profile. Make sure you choose a new password to protect your WordPress site.
- Searching for, picking and installing a great theme
WordPress 101 Video Training Part : Appearance